Sunday, March 6, 2011

Purely Inspired!

Today I spent my day enjoying the company of some of Orlando's most talented fitness instructors at the Les Mills Quarterly Workshop. Basically it was a menu of featured fitness classes and some helpful workshops allowing us to better our techniques. The main stage was filled with close to 800 men and women who jammed the day away to popular choreographed routines with the courtesy of a DJ, lighting operators, and accommodating hotel staff.

As I arrived, I was a little intimidated and unsure of what to expect since this was my first year attending this yearly event. Quickly I saw hundreds of other instructors and hoped I would fit in. The first thing I noticed was how friendly everybody was. It felt great running into old acquaintances and catching up on their new accomplishments. I realized what a talented group of people they all are. Every single person had a story behind their fitness. Some arrived at this career after battling weight loss, others found comfort after losing a loved one, and one friend, who I found to be such an inspiration even overcame a cancer diagnosis. Just to know these people humbles me completely.

One important lesson I walked away with and I wish for so many other women to understand this the way I now do, is that fitness comes in a variety of shapes, colors, sizes, and backgrounds. There is no cookie cutter image of a fitness instructor. The goal is not 'thin', the goal is 'universal health'. We do not aspire to create a nation of size 0's. We all have a similar goal in learning to encourage, motivate, and connect with our members. From this day forward I am truly moved to take what I have learned both, technical & emotional, and put that into my everyday life. I am rejuvenated and purely inspired by all!

4 comments:

  1. I sometimes think those of us who don't fit the mold of the "size O" instructor are able to better gather in those who think they can't get stronger, faster, and fitter. I used to tell my hubby, I may not fit in so and so's jeans, but I can bench press her, LOL!

    I love to focus meditation in Flow on what our bodies have DONE that day...not how they look.

    Stand strong,Christina--you'll help change the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, You are such a strong role model! I wish everybody could meet you to hear your amazing story and the journey you have overcome! I am forever grateful to have you in my life. Thanks for inspiring me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome! What an inspiring opportunity. I'm always amazed by my turbokick instructor - she's in her 40s, is a grandma, and has the abs and energy of a teenager (and no, she's not a size 0). Most importantly, she has the greatest positive attitude and hilarious sense of humor - it's a lot of fun. I want to be like her when I'm her age. You always amaze me too - with all that you do, you're always so upbeat. It's great to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. another great read!! You make me smile:)

    ReplyDelete