Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Questioning My Priorities:(

I suppose life wouldn't be exciting without a little contrast here and there. Learning to balance my goals along side of raising four children has become quite challenging lately. I am actually wondering if it's time to set aside some of my activities and develop more of a focus on my children. Obviously they are my first priority, but I do look forward to my personal time which I enjoy spending on my fitness career. It just seems like the more I excel in my accomplishments, the more my boys are slacking off in their studies at school. As a parent, this hits me like a gut punch. I take it very personally since much of their grade has been based on missing homework assignments.

My worries began a few weeks ago when my son's teacher called me in for an unexpected conference. She explained he has the potential to be such a great student, but he needs work focusing on his organization skills. My husband and I both came together as a team and have worked feverishly these past few weeks to get him back on track. Now that all is calm, I get an email from my other son's teacher asking me to join her for a conference today! I can only imagine we are in for a replay!

Next year I will have 3 children in 3 different schools as my daughter attends preschool, my middle son remains in elementary, and my oldest ventures off into middle school.  I panic even thinking of how my time management will have to be redistributed. The stress of it all falls back into my lap. As a mother do I need to set aside more time working with them side by side? I am only working part time, but it makes me feel so guilty.

Oh the woes of parenthood! Just think, they are not all in school yet! I still have a baby in diapers and the high school years are not even in sight yet. Don't get me wrong, I will always be proud of all my kids. I think we could all use this summer break to develop a structured schedule that will enable us to achieve our goals as a family.

2 comments:

  1. It is so hard to have a balance as a working mom and taking care of your children. I don't currently work and I only have one child and I already find myself freaking out that I'm not doing enough with or for her. She is starting school in August and I had planned to get a part time job but now I'm wondering if I do get a job what I'm going to do with her come summer time....etc. It's hard to find a balance. I think having some sort of career is important, especially for a go-getter like you. Perhaps you could get a tutor, someone similar to a nanny but more educated to come in and help your boys get through homework. Because here's the thing, boys have a hard time focusing no matter how smart they are and for my brothers we have long ago learned they learn SO much better from someone besides my parents. My mom homeschooled them for awhile and they were so behind and wouldn't pay attention, etc. But once put in school they excelled because someone else was requiring them to pay attention and learn. Now they are both on the Honor Roll and in advanced classes. Perhaps a tutor is exactly what your boys need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alaythea. I have thought about it and I'm getting closer to taking that step I have a had their karate instructor approach me, as she is a certified 5th grade teacher and could tutor them on the side. I may have to break down and hire additional help. I understand 100% how you feel about Gianna and preschool. I occasionally do flashcards, PK workbooks, but I am not consistent. It makes me feel I am not doing enough. Thanks for your advice:)

    ReplyDelete