Thursday, May 12, 2011

Combustion!!


Yesterday seems a little surreal when I ponder back through the timeline of events. What seemed like a pleasant day surprisingly went completely off course without warning. The morning began with a quick shop at the grocery store where I sprinted through the store hoping to avoid contact with any candy or toys. Successfully we made it home in time to put everything away, get lunch, and some outdoor play in the garden. This is where the events of my day take a drastic turn.

I realize it is time to pick up my older boys from school due to half day Wednesdays issued by the school. The baby is super tired, but has no choice but to come along for the ride. I'm casually wearing flip flops, a swimsuit, and transparent coverup. All of a sudden I get a phone call from my eldest son's teacher asking me to park up and come inside for a short parent teacher conference. My eyes widen at the thought of meeting up with her in my muu-muu plus a carload of fussy tots. I reluctantly agree and race to get into the school. Out of now where, the baby vomits everywhere. Not once, not twice, but four times! I'm now sweaty and covered in curdled milk!

We eventually make it through the 5th grade classroom door where I am greeted by the teacher who looks even more shocked to see I have 4 children. She immediately tells me what a talented young man I have in a son, but he seems a bit lost sometimes and has trouble organizing his work. I try to stay focused as my daughter is holding herself whispering in my ear,"I gotta go wee wee!" The baby is squirming all over at this point whining. It is moments like this when you pray for the Earth to open up and swallow you! As the teacher continues, I can't help but think she must be observing my circumstances and comparing me with my son!

Eventually it all comes to an end and we leave with a better understanding of each other. Although my son felt embarrassed he knows no matter what I will always be by his side. I may juggle 4 children and a fitness career, but it's moments like these that make me who I am!

2 comments:

  1. Man! I LOVE this!!! This is such a typical day for me!! Thanks for posting this...helps me remember that im in good company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha it's good to know I'm not the only one. I can't believe how many days I suddenly stop and think to myself "Oh no! I'm THAT woman!" lol. Yes, the one at the store with the screaming kids, or the one at the restaurant making a mess, or the one who goes out in sweats and no makeup. Yup, that's me, and I love my job :D

    ReplyDelete